Monday, August 31, 2015

WEEK #5 - Colorado Springs Fountain Stake

Hello family and friends! I hit my one month mark last Saturday and I turned 19 on Sunday!
So there is less to talk about this week for a few reasons. They reduced our mileage allotment on our car by 200 miles and so we had to do a lot of biking. One day, we biked over 12 miles and a lot of it was uphill. This just means that my thighs will be ripped after my mission haha.

Right outside our apartments

On Tuesday, a homeless man with a black eye and few teeth came us to us and started talking. It turns out that this man was a member of the church down in Pueblo and has a hard time finding a place to stay without getting thrown out, beat up, and robbed. However, what impressed me was that the first thing that he asked for was not for money, or for food, but for where the nearest church was so that he could find some help on his own. We gave him our number and are going to get him in touch with the Bishop, so that he can access the programs that the church offers that helps people in his situation. We are keeping him in our prayers and hope that he is able to get back on his feet.

rainbow while biking

As we would bike around, a couple summer thunderstorms would pass over us and get us all wet but it helped to cool us down. Elder Schilling needed it because lately when we have been biking, he has had to stop because he feels that he has no energy. I told him to drink some water and that if he died, then at least he died doing the Lord's work haha.
On Saturday, we helped a family in our ward move from an apartment into another home and as part of our reward, we were fed some authentic Filipino food which was absolutely delicious. After the service, Brother Chuck Smith found out that is was going to be my birthday that next day so he took me to Costco and bought me a huge 10 pound cake! I am going to gain lots of weight if I don't keep up my morning workouts and daily biking haha.
On Sunday, the day started normally, I did not get the traditional breakfast in bed but I got up and made scrambled eggs and toast with peanut butter! YUM! 


He may not of had breakfast in his comfy bed, but WE DID in honor of him! 

We went to church for both wards and met with Elder Reimer and Elder Liptrott so that they could conduct a baptismal interview for us. The interview is for a 11 year old girl named Taylor Smith who took the discussions before I got here and is scheduled to be baptized on Saturday the 5th! I am so excited for her and can't wait to see how the Gospel blesses her life. After the interview, Elder Reimer and Liptrott came with us to our apartment and had some Costco cake! we lit some candles and they sang happy birthday to me! The cake is really good and I don't know how we are going to get rid of it! 

(this pix was texted to mom's phone by a random number with the words, "Happy Birthday Elder LaRose". We loved it!).

On top of that, I received a package from home that had my church music, a new bluetooth speaker that is SWEET, and then random stuff like an inhaler and some bouncy balls haha It was great and i loved It.


Me with my package from home

 Also I want to thank everyone who has sent me gifts! I don't have everyone's emails to send them personally, but thanks for all the generosity. (some were a little too generous;)) For my "birthday dinner" I had salmon and baked potatoes and it was delicious! I got spoiled once again that night at our lesson with a member. They surprised me with some oreo cream pie in celebration of the occasion. 

Having cake with (L to R) Elder Reimer, Liptrott, and my vampire companion


fam and friends singing happy b-day and eating Kyler's Nutella cake back in Connecticut

When we got back to the apartment, I had my companion hold the pinata that was sent to me on the end of a book while I smacked it with a bat. Candy exploded everywhere and I think that I had to vacuum up more candy than I could keep! Even though it was my first b-day away from home, I felt so grateful and happy for the love I felt, whether it came from Colorado or the rest of the world. I love you all and love hearing about your lives in your emails!
Elder Kyler LaRose


CURRENT AREA ADDRESS:
2328 Washo Circle
Colorado Springs, CO
80915

MISSION OFFICE ADDRESS: 
4090 Center Park Drive Ste 4
Colorado Springs, CO 80916











No comments:

Post a Comment